Sunday, April 26, 2015

Consortium for Faculty Diversity


I was recently hired as a Consortium for Faculty Diversity Fellow at Haverford College in Philadelphia, PA in the Psychology Department. The Consortium is an association of liberal arts colleges committed to enhancing diversity among members institutions. Last year when I was searching for tenure track positions, teaching positions and post-docs at liberal arts institutions, I found the CFD application with opportunities to work as a post-doctoral fellow at a liberal arts institution. When I saw this application, I knew that my experiences in community engagement may qualify me. I was so excited for the opportunity to apply for this program because my goal for the past 10 years has been to be a scholar and teacher at a liberal arts institution.

The CFD Fellowship program offers the liberal arts faculty experience described as follows:
  • The residential liberal arts colleges of the Consortium are committed to promoting excellent teaching for undergraduate learning. 
  • As part of their intellectual vitality, interactive teaching and active learning environments, Consortium member schools seek to build rich intellectual communities of students and faculty members. 
  • At our schools, a passion for teaching is a "must," as is significant effectiveness in a variety of pedagogical settings. 
  • Faculty members at Consortium member schools can expect to devote a substantial amount of time to teaching and advising undergraduate students. 
  • Because our campuses and departments are small, faculty members are encouraged to undertake inter-departmental and inter-disciplinary curricular projects, including the design and teaching of interdisciplinary courses, first-year seminars or courses for non-majors. 
  • Use of innovative pedagogy that supports student learning, such as collaborative group work or inquiry learning, may also be expected.
At Haverford I'll be teaching three courses including a Seminar in Embodied Cognition, Introduction to Psychology, and Cognitive Neuroscience. Also, I'll be conducting research with undergraduate students and looking for engagement opportunities in the Philadelphia area. I'll have more updates about the experience in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment